The thing is I’ve done the obligatory New Years post every year with grand claims about how I was going to kick ass the next year. Then when that year is up I realize I’m still at square one and mostly I just feel disgusted that another year has gone by and I’ve done absolutely NOTHING to improve myself.
So this year I think I’m just going to ignore the resolutions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to try to make changes and improvements, but they’re going to be improvements for the long haul with no expiration or deadline. I’m going to focus on small improvements I can make… gradual revisions to my life that are relatively – or at least minimally – pain free.
Some general thoughts on things I want to improve upon:
- Spiritual: I’d like my life to be permeated by a sense of peace and calm. I’d like restored faith in God and to be able to rest in the notion that He is in control and I’m allowed to JUST BE with Him. Performance is not necessary.
- Attitude: I want to be less cynical, more optimistic. It seems like my knee-jerk reaction to everything is half-empty, doom-n-gloom skepticism. I don’t really like that about myself. I’d also like to learn to focus on the good things in my life and be grateful for what I have.
- Physical: I want to be stronger and more capable. I want to be functionally fit and able to save my own life if circumstances demand it. I’d like to be as fit as a warrior and highly trained in a martial art.
- Financial: I want to unload the bad debt I have (credit cards). I want to stockpile an emergency fund. And I want to spend my money more wisely. I’d also like to continue working on a book I’ve been developing. I think the story-line is interesting but wether or not I can develop it into a desirable read is yet to be seen.
- Diet: I want to focus on whole, nourishing foods, cut out sugar and starches, and prepare and consume amazing meals.
So there’s a few things I’m going to begin pursuing. As part of getting myself in better physical condition I believe I’m going to look at hiring a personal trainer or getting some level of accountability and direction online. As part of my diet, I’m going to try to get more organic and grass-fed foods on my plate. Financially this will be a burden so I need to set up a food plan and a strict budget to work along with it.
So I have some work to do here, some planning and preparing in order to steer my life in the direction I want it to go. I’ll work out the plans in more detail in the coming days.