Over the years I’ve tried various recipes for asparagus and I’ve concluded that I have a love hate relationship with it. I usually love it when other people fix it in all the myriad ways they do. I also usually hate it when I prepare it because it just plain tastes either blah or too asparagus-y.
My favorite experience with asparagus thus far has been the Cream of Asparagus soup served at a local restaurant called LaMinestra – delightful. I’ve tried replicating it and I’ve found out I’m crap at making cream soups (or possibly all soups).
- Start up grill, allow to warm, probably medium heat.
- Bend asparagus and allow them to break naturally so you get rid of the thicker stalk towards to bottom (not sure this has to be done, but THE Julia recommends it in her book)
- Select 3-4 stalks
- Pick up slice of bacon
- Wrap bacon around bundle of stalks
- Repeat until all asparagus is wrapped in bacon
- Place on the top rack of your grill and cook until the bacon looks done (maybe 10-15 min)
- Eat and moan with ecstasy
I’ll be making these a regular addition to my diet. DIVINE!